I've been neglecting my Science side lately, and I'm changing that now. I just made some No-Cook freezer Jam. I don't know where my husband got the recipe, but here's what I did.
1. Cut off stems and blend two baskets of strawberries to desired consistency.
2. Measure exactly 2 cups of crushed strawberries into a large bowl.
3. Add 4 cups of sugar to the bowl and stir until fully mixed.
4. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. In a separate bowl, mix Certo Liquid Fruit Pectin with 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
6. Add to strawberry mixture. Stir until dissolved.
7. Fill containers to within 1/2 inch of tops, and let stand 24 hours at room temperature. Put in freezer or refrigerator. (Thaw in refrigerator before use.)
When I first tasted the sugar and strawberry mixture (I couldn't resist) it was very grainy. I thought I had done something wrong because it didn't taste like jam AT ALL.
Ten minutes later, the sugar had dissolved completely and even settled some. When I tasted it again, it was strawberry syrup. I couldn't taste individual grains anymore!
When I added the pectin, suddenly the strawberry syrup had that jam quality to it. The recipe had worked! And it was amazing watching the same delicious reaction happen again and again with each batch.
CHECK IT OUT!
Dude, you have to test this. Go get some strawberries and try it out. Let me know the results in the comments.
I write about, with, for, and around kids all day. (Well, maybe I do the dishes too. Sometimes.)